Pages

Monday, June 20, 2016

Livestock Racks

Today's project for me was to finish the livestock racks I had begun a couple days ago. We have 8 lambs going to market but still no trailer. But I do have a truck and since they are small enough, they will all fit into the back of my pickup. I decided this time around to make livestock racks or panels instead of a livestock box. I had made one a couple years ago to fit into the back of our pickup truck but found it heavy and cumbersome.


And since I figure I will probably be putting the racks up on my own several times, it would be more convenient to racks rather than a box. So Farm Boy helped me lay out the main pieces and screw them all together.


Then I took a couple days off from the project but it needed to be done today as they go to the market tonight. I didn't have a plan or design in mind and had a hard time finding anything on a Google search, but put together something that I hoped would work. Each piece will be connected with adjustable hooks.


The back rack above the tailgate will have a swing door for easy entry and exit, however I have found the weight of the gate pulls the side panels its screwed in to, down too low. Not a major issue, but annoying. I attempted to correct this by adding a brace between both side racks above the gate, but it didn't make much difference. I will have to do some engineering thinking and figure it out, but till then, as long as it doesn't fall off, it will work just fine.


Since I didn't work from a design or plan, there were some definite mistakes and I will need to go back to the drawing board--and the saw--and make some adjustments. But for tonight, I think it will do its job. There is no roof on my livestock box and don't know yet whether that is a bad thing or not. Experience will tell.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to have a livestock rack for my truck! We have some sheep, and whenever I move them, I have to load up my trailer, which is such a pain. If I had something on my truck that I could load them into. It would be so much faster, and much less of a hassle.


    http://jacksbumpers.com/products

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...