Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Is She or Is She Not?

If I had the money I would invest in an ultrasound machine because I have spent so much time in the last several months wondering whether she was or wasn't pregnant.  This time around it's our wonderful miniature horse, Pixie's turn.  We have been so consumed with watching, studying, waiting, preparing for the arrival of new little lambs and goat kids that we nearly forgot about Pixie. When we bought her we were told she could be pregnant as she had bred her with her stallion.  We made a mental note of it, did a quick calculation and figured May was the expected due date if there were an expected due date.

Well I was wrong again about my dates.  But this time instead of being later, our expected due date is sooner.  A lot sooner.  According to the Breeder Service Certificate, Pixie was serviced between May 19-21, 2012.  So that makes her due date approx. April 11.  Wow.  Talk about not being prepared.  We figured this all out late last night and I could barely sleep, thinking and worrying about her out there so first thing in the morning we went out and brought her inside.


But as you can see, we are questioning once again, "is she or isn't she pregnant?".  She doesn't look extra wide to me but then again our research on the internet showed mare's looking the exact same just days before they delivered.  So we aren't really going to use the width of Pixie to determine whether she is or isn't.  But apparently, her belly should have dropped by now.  With her winter coat still on, it is really hard to tell if there is a drooped belly there or not.  But....


I'm not really seeing a drooped belly.  At least not like the ones I saw on the internet.  So we next checked what I figure is the most telling of all signs.  The udder.  But once again.....


Can you see them?  No?  Well that's because there isn't any.  We are pretty certain that Pixie is not pregnant from all the symptoms we looked for.  We checked her vulva as well but really have no idea what to look for.  I am posting an image of that so if you think it may offend you, please look away now.  One of the reasons I write this blog is for my own personal notes and records for future reference.


As far as I can tell, it has not loosened so no imminent birth expected.  Part of us are disappointed that our beautiful Pixie is not going to have a baby.


But another part of us are secretly relieved.  We did not plan this breeding as it was done at her previous owner's property, so we really weren't focused on it as we were the sheep and goats.  I did not watch her diet or administer any vaccinations in time, so in all honesty it is probably for the best if she is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...