Pages

Monday, November 9, 2015

November

It's November already and though we just finished a week long of beautiful weather, the cold northern wind is starting to blow in and I'm spending more time inside. It's been over a month since my last post. A lot has been going on that I really haven't found the time to blog. I'm now working on a chicken farm full-time to help with expenses.


My ex had cut me off support payments without notice. I had to scramble to make rent, selling most all my belongings to do so. But I'm back on track now and I've started legal action against ex. Farm Girl bought her first car.  Isn't it cute?


It's a Suzuki SX4 with a 4x4 option. Perfect for the approaching winter. Though rumour has it it is supposed to be a mild one. Fingers crossed it is.

In the livestock department, we haven't increased in number there yet, but we sold all our chickens after I got the job at the chicken farm as bio-security reasons demand no cross-contamination of birds. But that was okay, as they weren't laying anymore and were just another mouth to feed. Besides, I can get free eggs at work.

Our house was overrun with cluster flys.


The previous tenant hadn't bothered to get the house sprayed. Cluster flies are impossible to keep out of old farmhouses so it's important to get them sprayed every spring and fall. However, according to the exterminator who came and sprayed my house, the fall should be good enough to keep them at bay year round or at least the numbers down. Since I have a good landlord willing to pay for the spraying which can be costly at $300, I'll probably get it sprayed again in the spring.

The pigs are getting fatter. Especially Pork Chop, he's always been the biggest and the one we plan on eating ourselves. I'd estimate he weighs a good 150lbs. Won't be long now.


And I think that's it for now. We had a nice Thanksgiving dinner just the three of us. Was planning on going out since it was just us but in the end, made a turkey so that we could have leftovers for lunches.


Halloween was wet as per usual but that didn't stop the boy from going out of course. He dressed up as Bane from the Dark Knight.


We are still hoping to get some more sheep in before winter, but not sure if that's going to happen. With winter comes heating bills and Christmas. I've secured a snow removal guy to do my laneway so no more worries about trying to find a snow plow for the truck. We decided after I got the job at the chicken farm that we would not accept any horse boarders. We just weren't ready for winter boarding and besides we wanted the space for sheep. So I guess since we've turned away boarders, we'll have to somehow find money to bring in the sheep or the space will go to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...