Pages

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Feed Storage

Part of organizing my barn has been trying to find how best to store all the feed and hay.  With my head count going up, our hay supplier has discussed bringing along an elevator in next fall's delivery so that we can order larger amounts of hay and stack them up in the loft.  That will leave more room in the barn.


I realized that I was going through grain far faster than usual once my new flock of sheep arrived.  A head count of all sheep and lambs this morning had me at 58.  I soon found myself constantly down at the feed store.  So instead, I came up with the idea of storing all the grain in a deep freezer.  There was an old unused one in our cellar that came with the house.  It took the four of us but we managed to get it up the narrow staircase. I scrubbed it clean and disinfectant it then drove it over to the barn.  As you can see, it easily holds a week of grain. I'm sure I can fit another weeks worth in it if wanted.  That will definitely cut back on my trips to the feedstore.


And a great work surface when not opened.


Across the aisle along the horse stalls, I picked up the two large and fantastic storage containers on the end.  


They hold 42 gallons a piece and are on wheels so can easily be moved around if necessary.  I store the horses grain in one and creep feed in the other.  The two other storage tubs I store loose mineral in one and the other is for any other grain we want separated such as specialty grain for goats or lamb grower.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...