Pages

Monday, March 17, 2014

Feeders

Guess what I did today?


Made new arrangements in the barn again of course.


It seems I'm always unsatisfied with the setup in the barn.  The problem I was presently having was that I was wasting a whole lot of expensive hay.  Without a hay feeder in the pen, the ewes trampled a good portion of hay and made it into bedding.  So I had to fix that.


I searched the internet and Pinterest for a setup that would work for me and the small space I had to work with.  The sheep pens in my barn are not very wide.  They are only 10 feet deep so no room for a feeder in the middle  I knew I had to work with the space outside of the pens.


We installed bottom boards along the base and left about 11" for sheep to slip their heads out comfortably for feeding.  There are individual slots that we separated by 12" but are adjusting that to about 8" as it is really too wide and not only can two ewes slip their heads into one slot but a ewe has already got a leg and head stuck in one. Besides by making the slots smaller will provide more individual feeding slots to accommodate all the sheep.


Next project, smaller and lighter grain feeders.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...