Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Creek Runs Through Them

The post before took place right before we headed out for a hike with the dogs.  It was such a gorgeous day yesterday.  The snow had almost completely thawed and the field wasn`t as muddy as we thought.  We crossed it and headed for the neighbouring meadow and small woods where a creek runs through.  The meadow sits between a small valley and was very wet after the fast snow melt so we knew we had to come in from the farmer`s field on the opposite end.  That is also where the small woods is found.  This is a photo of the meadow and you can see the small woods in the distance.


That unmowed patch running through the center of the meadow is the creek.  A neighbouring farmer comes through and cuts alot of the grass from here as you can see.  It`s usually unused land but there was such a shortage of hay this year, farmer`s were taking it from wherever they could.  We were happy with that because it meant the meadow wasn`t overgrown with grass and weeds and was more accessible.  It`s a great place to take the horses or dogs on a hike.  But as I said, it was too wet there yesterday so we headed around the back through the farmer`s field to reach the woods and stopped for an impromptu photoshoot as we did.


All the dogs were off leash except for Harley, our only male golden.  Reason for that is he`s been known to take off when hiking and do his own thing.  He always comes back but I like to make sure I can keep an eye on my dogs at all times yet give them the freedom of being off leash.  The girls never run off...unless Harley lures them away.  Then they are gone.  So he was leashed but the others weren`t.  Besides he`s taken an awful lot of interest in Emma lately so we are thinking she is coming into heat.  Males seem to have a sense or smell of when a female's heat cycle is imminent.  We are planning on giving Emma a break and not breeding her until her following heat cycle, so keeping them apart was also important.  However, when we reached the edge of the woods, the girls all ran off and disappeared into them.  We heard a distance splash and knew they had found the creek.  Our dogs love water.  I think it's their breed, it's like they are born to it like fish.  They certainly are drawn to it like a magnet.  This is young Jewel looking down at them playing in the creek.  Not yet having got her virginal feet wet.


However, I think their excitement inspired her to leap into the water without thought.  Though it wasn`t what she expected and quickly climbed out.  The girl`s excitement plus the lure of the water also had Harley snapping and bolting down the hill knocking the camera out of my hand and nearly taking me with him.  


You can see even Ivy also playing in the water.  It didn`t take Harley long though to jump out of the water and start running and following the stream further into the woods.  I called for him but knew he wouldn`t stop.  Once he goes into that zone, there is no getting his attention back.  There really is nowhere for him to go but further into the woods and then into neighbouring property, so eventually once he got bored and realized he was too far from me he would turn back.  The problem was he was still attached to his leash.  It could get entwined in the tangle of downed branches, twigs, weeds, and whatnot that laced the woods.  Particularly surrounding the creek where he was running along.  My fears increased when we noticed Sydney swimming very hard in the creek but not going anywhere.  The current was flowing pretty good and she was trying to follow Harley up creek against it.  We called her trying to see if she could get out but she continued to swing in the one spot.  I think Emma heard the urgency in our voice and jumped in to save her.


But that only made two goldens swimming up creek against the current.  


Actually, they looked rather funny hence the photos.


But all humor vanished when they did eventually scramble out of the banks and like lightening took off after Harley.  Emma, thankfully, listens and put the brakes on and returned to my side.  Thank goodness because Jewel still follows her momma wherever she goes and loosing her to the woods and a strong current was a scary thought.  Which was where we stood with Sydney, our most valuable golden.  As in money value.  She is the show dog, the one to win ribbons, prestige, fame and fortune.  Okay, stretching it on those last two but you get the idea.  We cannot loose or have her severely injured. So up and down the creek we walked, calling out their names, while at the same time trying to keep Emma, Jewel, and Ivy at our side.  In the end we thought it best that Oldest head home with those dogs and I'd go on the hunt for Harley and Sydney.  

Let me tell you, it was eary hearing nothing from the woods or creek as I made my way through them.  I expected to hear them running through either and follow their sound.  I followed the creek downstream out of the woods and into the open meadow.  As predicted it was very wet.  I stopped and listened several times.  Then I heard the distant sound of something jingling.  It was the leash on Harley.  He was on the opposite bank half way through the meadow.  When he saw me, he leaped across the bank and came running to me.  Phew.  That was one dog down.  I grabbed his leash, hung on tight and continued across the meadow toward the far side where a huge pond was located.  Oldest said it was Sydney`s favourite spot to swim and would swim the entire length of the creek toward it.  Because of the strength of the current, I worried she wouldn`t make it there safely.

I had reached the only bridge along the creek and discovered I couldn`t go any further as the meadow was far too flooded.  I made my way back up the valley but just as I was doing so, glanced once last time toward the direction of the pond and lo and behold, there she was running toward me.  Unscathed.  I wanted to scold her so badly but in fear of her taking off again, praised her cheerfully and led her back up the hillside.  The dogs were wet, muddy, covered in burs, but had no idea they nearly scared me to death.


But, hey, they had fun in this rare indian summer in the middle of January.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...