Pages

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

New Flock

I have two stories to tell you.  About a week ago, we noticed that in the goat pen, Holly our pygmy goat and only horned female goat, used her horns on the newborn dairy kids so even though I didn't want to, we moved her and Storm out of the goat pen.  So they didn't feel alone, we brought Thunder in to keep them company.  I think he gave Holly a sense of security but poor little Storm became subdue and not as playful.  I think she missed her little friends.

My second story takes us back to last fall when I was downsizing my miniature horses.  I rehomed our little miniature colt, Tex, to a man who lived on a little piece of land along the shoreline of the tourist town my husband works in.  It wasn't an ideal setup but he had an assortment of animals and was a popular spot for vacationers to bring their children to visit his petting zoo.  I think the animals also gave him company.  Anyway, yesterday, we saw an upsetting ad from this man because one of his neighbours complained to animal control about a couple of his goats escaping his little pen and eating their shrubs.  Turns out his little property was not zoned for agriculture so he was ordered to get rid of all the animals.  So I immediately contacted him and inquired about Tex which he informed me that he had lots of interest in him and all sounded like much better homes than the one this man could provide.

I was relieved to hear this as poor "little" Tex wasn't so little any more. As we got to talking, he informed me about his little flock of pygmy goats.  In my opinion, he had far too many bucks living together along with a family of females that I would not have deemed safe particular with young children visiting his petting zoo. I immediately offered to take the females as one had two young kids at her side.  They would provide Storm with company once again.


At first I was only going to take the mother and her kids, but then I got one good look at this little beauty and had to have her as well.
\

So now I am the proud owner of a flock of pygmy goats.  And Storm is her flying, bouning and jolly self once again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...