Pages

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Rescue

A couple weeks back, a woman contacted me who I had bought some sheep from years ago and asked if I would be interested in buying a couple of hers. She recently got divorced, sold the farm, and rehomed the sheep but one of the farms her sheep went to turned out to be a poor home. Then I didn't hear anything back from her for about two weeks until her ex-husband contacted me and told me it was a dire situation. Even though the farm was two and a half hours away, I agreed to take them even though I haven't quite set up the sheep pasture yet or their pen.

I hired a family friend and we headed down yesterday. The farmer was right. The sheep were in a bad way. He had told me it was because of new owner's family dog attacking them and coyote's had killed a couple others. But they were being starved and I can see why he wanted his sheep out of that property asap.

So now I have the first sheep on my new farm. I'm going to work on securing proper fencing and then they can go out and graze. Until then, we are nursing one very unhealthy ewe and fattening the rest.


The ewe on the left is the sickly ewe recovering from a dog attack. She is unable to raise her head and  barely able to walk. She is deathly thin so wondering if she is able to eat at all. The farmer gave me meds that he started her on and the vet is optimistic she will have a full recovery. I'm thinking of separating her with maybe one other sheep for company so that she has full access to hay and grain.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...