Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Christmas Ham

I know I've said that I've curved my impulse buying, and I have, really, but we brought home four piglets yesterday.


My farming practice is geared toward farming for profit but I have no intention of getting into pigs. We've thought often of buying and raising our own swine for self-consumption but I've always put it off because well, they're pigs. Not my favorite livestock. They're stinky, messy, and carry countless bacteria.

But then these four came up for sale at a really good price. Now, I don't need four pigs but in order to get the deal, I had to buy them in a group of four. I'll probably sell the extra's to someone or raise them myself and sell the meat. So, technically, it is a small money making scheme. Though I don't think much if any. But since pigs are a fast growing animal, I knew it would be a short time commitment. They should be ready for butcher right before Christmas. This year, we should have our very first home raised Christmas ham. Now that's exciting. Almost enough to make me tolerate their presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...