Pages

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Fencing

Our large pasture required the north side to be fenced properly before we could put any livestock in it. The previous owner had simply roped the fence line.


Not good. So I knew that the fence would need to be redone to safely contain animals. The main posts were already installed so all we had to do was add t-posts for extra support and page wire. Luckily, we already had both materials. All we needed was manpower.

That came surprisingly in the form of my 11 year old son.


Now, he didn't do the majority of the work but to be honest, I couldn't have finished the job without his muscle help. I always knew I would be grateful for his manpower some day, I'm just surprised it has arrived earlier than I thought.

We had to mow the grass along the fence line, then poud in the t-posts. Farm Girl managed to pound in about five a night and it wasn't until we got near the end that my son asked if he could have a go. Humoring him, we handed over the post pounder and was startled to discover he pound the post into the ground faster than his sister. Then when his sister got busy at work with lambing season underway and I not wanting the grass to grow back and having to mow it over again, I enlisted my son's help for unrolling the fence wire and nailing it to the posts. Again, his muscles surprised me. He was able to pull the fence taut while I nailed it in.

I'm super pleased with how it turned out. Better, actually, than I thought it. All thanks to my boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...