Pages

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Bully

Chase is the least liked horse in my pasture.  By the other horses, not humans.  Even though he is  the alpha horse, he is not welled loved by the other horses.  More often then not, he is treated like an outsider.


There is good reason for that.  He is a bully.  Yes, sadly, bullying exists even in the animal kingdom.  He bites and kicks and lives up to his name chasing horse's all over the pasture.  As what happened today when I put the miniatures in the big pasture with the big horses.  Chase took immediate offense to the presence of Pixie and her baby, Blossom.


I had introduced Chase to Pixie's baby a few weeks back.  They had already been acquainted over the fence and so I sent him in alone to her pasture to meet the newest herd member.  All had went smoothly and I thought nothing of sending them into the big pasture today, however Chase decided his pasture was full enough with already having to share it with three other horses, a flock of sheep, and a pesky billy goat. So he did his utmost to chase the new intruders out.  His antics upset the other horses and suddenly I was having a stampede in my pasture.


Even the sheep went into flight mode.  I tried hollering at Chase but he wasn't listening, so finally I opened the miniature pasture and everyone went running into there.  Including the sheep.  In the smaller confines I was able to subdue Chase and safely collect Pixie and Blossom and put them out in the big pasture by themselves.  However the mini pasture really isn't big enough for four horses so I sent Aussie back out into the big pasture with the minis.  Now Aussie is the complete opposite of Chase.  He is our big sweetheart.  The gentle giant.  All the horses love him.  And he knows exactly how to calm an upset horse and show them he can be trusted.  Pixie was still in a state of panic when I sent Aussie in after her and began running once again.


But Aussie, my big loveable boy who only wants everyone to love him, only followed at a safe distance.





Unil Pixie realized he was not trying to harm her or her baby and finally came to a stop.


I allowed them relax and return to grazing before I sent Sierra into the big pasture as well.  Next to Aussie, she is our other super sweet horse and wouldn't hurt a fly.  She entered the pasture and nonchalantly walked up to Aussie and began grazing without even noticing Pixie or her Blossom.  When Pixie looked up and saw her she instantly panicked and went into flight mode again.


But the only reaction she got from  Sierra was a curious glance before returning back to grazing.


At which Pixie relaxed immediately and all was well in the big pasture once again.  As for Chloe and Chase?  Well Chloe was allowed to join them later and as I predicted did not care one iota about the presence of Pixie and her baby.  The more the merrier.  Besides she was part of the click.  Chase however, is in detention and being kept in the mini pasture with the pesky billy goat as his only companion until he learns to get along.


    I'll end this post by letting Sierra tell Chase exactly what she thinks of him and his bullying.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...