Pages

Monday, June 24, 2013

Water Problems

We've had this small puddle slowly forming in our backyard since winter.


We are not on a well here but actually on town water so I initially thought the water line had bust but this puddle is in the backyard and I'm pretty certain the town water is coming from the front yard.  Then Oldest's boyfriend thought it was our septic needing to be drained and cleaned.  Since living in the country is all new to me, I naturally had to look up what he was talking about after which I had my doubts since the water didn't smell nor did I think it was close enough to the house.


Even further from the bathrooms which are the far window to the right of the house above.  But not knowing what else it could be, I called up the septic people today and they came out and took a look.  The guy had worked on my house before we lived here and new where the septic tank was, and it wasn't there.  In fact, it was close to the house as I had researched, near that pile of wood in the right corner in the above photo.  He scratched his head trying to figure it out and then asked if there was any water going to the barn.  Why yes there is, I said.


It was his guess that it was the water line from the house to the barn that has formed a crack.  The septic tank was nowhere near here.  Relieved that it wasn't a troublesome septic tank, I now must worry if it is the water line to the barn and how much that will cost to repair.  I went into the dungeon basement and stared at all the pipes running every which way down there.


I vaguely recall the owner before telling me which valve was for the barn so reached in among all those pipes and cobwebs and shut it off.


After which I went to the barn to see if I got the right valve, which I did.  But it also shut off the water to the hose outside the drive shed which fills the miniature pasture, and the backyard hose, as well as the front yard hose.  If he's right and it's the water line to the barn, it's going to be fun hauling water to the barn until it eventually gets fixed.

On a side note while we are talking about water problems, I am certain everyone has heard about the flooding in Alberta.  My daughter who I refer to as Farm Girl, is in Alberta working there over the summer.  She is safe and sound but not unaffected by this horrible natural disaster.  The stables where she worked were flooded and she along with the rest of the town of Banff were stranded as the highways east and west of them were either flooded or damaged from mudslides.


Naturally, as her mother, I was pretty freaked out by the images I was seeing over the news and internet.  I did not want my baby stuck in a place that was experiencing such a horrible natural disaster.  I wanted her home with me.  There is no worse feeling ever then not being able to help.  She however kept reassuring me she was fine.  Her home had not flooded and she was warm and dry.  Heck, with all her free time she even managed to do some sightseeing along with a group of co-workers.  This event certainly is not what I wanted for my daughter's first big adventure away from home, but she is handling the situation very well.  So I am taking a cue from her and relaxing and not worrying so much.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...