Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Manure Anyone?

I'm not 100% sure why chickens love manure other than the wonderful worms, bugs, undigested food that can be found within.  It supposedly makes a difference in the way they taste and their level of vitamins and nutrients.  But as I have yet to eat one of my chickens, I can't attest to that.  But unlike so many farms where they use rotational gazing with chickens, they will often rotate along with another livestock such as cattle or pigs.  I have neither.  I do have sheep, but they are on the opposite pasture along with the horses.

Not wanting my chicks to be missing out on any valuable nutrients, I brought them some fresh yummy manure from the mini pasture.


Initially, they came rushing from the cool shade of the coop believing I was tossing them yet another scoop of their favourite grain.


But then they were like, "What the heck?!  This is nothing but sh**!"  And promptly turned their beaks away.


I figured I owned the only chickens on the planet that didn't think fresh manure was the equivalent to a chicken delicacy.  But then I remembered this was their first time ever having a taste of it and should rightfully be wary.  


It took some braves souls (and a swarm of bugs around the manure) to finally lure the chickens into investigating this new food.


I believe the verdict was good.


I'll be definitely adding manure to my chickens diet from now until slaughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...