Pages

Monday, June 17, 2013

Getting to Know Your Grass

Before I talk about grass, I just wanted to update how things were going in the mini pasture.  I think this photo says it all.


That's Blossom staying cool underneath the Willow tree with, well, Willow, and Tex.  And Mamma, Pixie, was comfortable enough with this scenario to graze at a distance.


But now, back to grass.  In the winter I did a post regarding getting to know your hay.  Just important, if not more, is getting to know your grass.  I am still learning so come along and learn with me.  


My pasture does not look as wonderful as this.  In fact, I am pretty certain even in full bloom it wouldn't look as plentiful as this. To the average person, this is a lot with unmowed grass.  That was exactly how I looked at it when I first moved here.  A nuisance, a pain-in-the-butt lot.  But to the horses, this is a smorgasbord!  Come with me as I get up close and personal with the different kinds of grass found within.  

This here grass I believe is orchard grass, or not.  The jury is still out on that.


This one is the only one I know for certain.  It is timothy.


I'm thinking this is some kind of fescue grass?


This photo is a bit unclear (the result of trying to take photos of grass on a windy day) but believe it is Bromegrass.


I'm at a loss for this one.


This braided looking type of grass I think might be quack grass.


This one I'm thinking is Kentucky bluegrass.


This is red clover, I'm pretty certain.


Hmm?  Canada Bluegrass maybe?


Here is that braided looking grass again.


Okay, so I hope noone comes to this blog entry hoping to learn to identify their grass blades, because it is a lot harder than you think.  They all look so different yet look exactly the same.  Whatever their breed of grass, the horses love each and every one.  As a treat I may take a bouquet of these grasses to the miniatures.


Or a bucket full for the horses.


Aussie enjoying his treat of yummy morsels.



They don't care what you name it, they can identify it with just one sniff.  Try giving them any other grass and they'll turn their nose away.  I think it would be fabulous to be able to identify whether a food is good and healthy for you simply by smelling it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...