Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Progress

I found Dreamer in the pasture today in a position I don`t often find her.


I actually thought she was dead.


You see, Dreamer is never in a relaxed state.  She`s the cautious one.  The one always on her guard.  She`s the one I mentioned before who has trust issues.  We haven`t caught her since shortly after she arrived.  She`s broke her halter and since then, there is no getting near her.  So I am very surprised to seeing her in such a relaxed state.

I approach quietly but she turns at the sound of snow crunching beneath my foot and sits upright at the sight of me.


But surprise, surprise, she does not bolt from her spot to the opposite side of the pasture and away from me.  Instead, she watches me in a drowsy state while I take photos of her.


She even had the courage to take her eyes off me and look around.


So I chanced it and moved even closer.


Wow, you have no idea how shocked I am at this point.  She still has not bolted.  Actually, it looked like she might fall back to sleep.


So wanting to push my luck even further, I reached out...and touched her!!!


Yes, that is me touching our wild pony.  All I could think of was that I wished I had a halter on hand.  Nevertheless, I continued to pet her and talk to her gently.  I got up and walked around her taking more photos.


From when we handled her the few short times when she initially arrived, I knew her backside was a sensitive area where she did not like to be touched.  So guess what I did?!  Touched her backside of course!


Yes, I know, it's a bad photo but trust me this is her backside.  Feeling like the bond between us is finally growing, I move around to the front of her again cooing softly.  Then I lost my footing on the terrain, throwing my arm into the air to catch my balance.  It was that movement that finally had Dreamer bolting to her feet.


Though she didn't run off.  She turned and looked at me and I knew without a doubt, that she had been abused in the past.  We had always suspected it, but the swift raising of my arm brought an immediate and alarming reaction from her.  The arrival of the dogs ended any bonding between us as they see miniature horses as playmates ignoring the fact the feeling isn't mutual.  So I call off the dogs and head back up to the gate.

I was pleased to notice Dreamer had actually followed, walking next to me if not by several yards.


As entering the pasture usually means watching the backside of Dreamer head in the opposite direction, I have concluded that we are finally making progress with Dreamer.  She may never be suitable for the petting zoo, but it is definitely rewarding to watch her overcome some of her inner battles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...