Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

My Version of Mini Pizzas

I do not profess to be a good chef....or a chef at all.  As a matter of fact, I detest cooking.  It is a matter of necessity rather than enjoyment for me.  That said, I do get excited when I find an easy, quick and delicious meal.  And will be more than happy to share here on my blog.

This one I discovered by accident.  My husband loves the original of this recipe which his mother made him for years.  I didn't mind them as they fell into the easy, quick and, well not bad category.  I didn't love them but I could eat them.  Then recently when I made them for my family, I changed up Bambino's recipe slightly because he is such a fussy eater.  When we eat out and order subs, he orders lettuce and tomato sauce only on his bun.  So I decided that was what I would put on his.

The original recipe is simple.  Get a package of hamburger buns, lay them open separately on a cookie sheet, add a slice of processed cheddar cheese and bacon and cook until toasted.  See simple.

Bambino did away with all that and got pizza sauce and lettuce only.  That was when I decided to do a little something different to mine and added my favourite food, mushrooms, and switched the processed cheese to real cheese.

Here it is in a nut shell.

First fry up mushrooms and bacon in a separate pans.  (Tip: frying mushrooms in butter rather than margarine or oil makes them heavenly.)  You can also add onions but I'm not a huge fan.


Once done, lay them over your upturned buns on a cookie sheet.


Garnish with cheese.


Now this last step is really what made the difference between my version and my MIL's version.  As I mentioned earlier, she used processed sliced cheese.  Normally, I enjoy processed cheese.  Actually it is the only cheese I've ate my entire life because you see I hate cheese.  But either we were out of processed cheese or I was in the mood to try something different, I don't recall.  And why I chose this cheese, is even more mind-boggling as the smell of cheese is disgusting to my senses but this one takes the cake.  I nearly threw the bag out it stunk so bad.  This is the bag, the flavour is call Luncheon.


And I can promise you it tastes nothing like it smells once cooked.  Nor smell.  Thank goodness.  Once you have added the cheese, place in oven at 400F until toasty.  Eat alone for lunch or add side dishes with it for supper.  Absolutely delicious.  I crave them all the time.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...