Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2013

My Sheep

I own seven Katahdin sheep.  Six ewes and one ram.  My main reason for choosing this breed was because they are a meat breed and have hair rather than fleece which means no shearing required.  They will shed their winter coats in the summer.  Though I suspect I have at least one "woolly" Katahdin who will probably need shearing come spring.

Here are my gals.


They just turned one and we have our fingers crossed they are expecting as we had our ram running with them until a month ago.  

Our ram, Dodge.


Sheep are unlike goats who are super friendly and adore humans.  Sheep not so much.  So it is hard to become attached to sheep like you do goats.  Therefore, naming them never really occurred to me.  Dodge was named by my son who thought it appropriate he be named after the dodge truck ram.  So I let stay.  The only other lamb we named was this little ewe who as a lamb looked so much like the perfect little white lamb like the one in the fairy tale rhyme Mary Had a Little Lamb.  Hence she became Mary.


The ewe below is the one I suspect may be a woolly lamb and the only one I'd place my bets on who was pregnant.  If I were a betting woman.


However, I've read that ewes who are expecting and close to giving birth, become more affectionate with their owners. This is two of my ewes coming up for a rare petting.


I've been doing a lot of research lately in what to expect if any of my goats or lambs were to kid in the next couple of weeks.  I find it hard to believe any of them are, but it is completely possible so I don't want any surprises.  Not that I think it will help as being a newbie at this I seem to always mess up.  And in the fatal way.  If anything goes wrong, I'm almost certain I won't be able to assist.  But since the sole purpose of buying goats and sheep was to reproduce, I can't help but feel excitement mount at the prospect of what if.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...